Why Use A Condom?
- Condoms can help prevent disease and pregnancy.
- Using a condom correctly every time you have anal, vaginal or oral sex provides protection for you and your partners.
- Condoms are highly effective in preventing the sexual transmission of HIV. Consistent and correct use of condoms reduces the risk of other STDs, such as gonorrhea, chlamydia, trichomoniasis, genital herpes, syphilis and HPV.
- Consistent and correct use of condoms is also highly effective in preventing unplanned pregnancies. Birth control methods such as “the pill”, IUD and diaphragm do not protect you from getting HIV and other STDs.
- For more information on how condoms can protect your health, click on the following link CDC’s Condom Fact Sheet.
How to Use Condoms
The Florida Department of Health in Miami-Dade County is committed to protecting the health of their residents. The Condom Distribution Program promotes condom use to prevent the transmission of HIV, other STD’s, and unintended pregnancy, by providing access to FREE male and female condoms through clinics, colleges/universities, community partners, or local businesses.
In order to qualify as a Condom Distribution Site, an organization must meet the following requirements:
- Provide condoms FREE of charge to their patrons/clients and the general public.
- Allow condoms to be taken freely, without harsh restrictions or barriers. In other words, you cannot limit the amount of condoms a person takes.
- Make male and female condom available and accessible to the community
- Be open to providing or receiving HIV/AIDS education and referrals for/to their patrons/clients and general public.
- Let’s protect the health of our community together!
To become a condom distributor, please fill out the Condom Distribution Application. A representative from the condom program will contact you.
Condom Ordering Form
If your organization would like to order condoms (only complete after application has been approved by coordinator), please fill out the Condom Ordering Form.
Individuals can pick up FREE male and female condoms at any of the locations listed. Enter your zip code to find locations near you.
A Personal Protection Package allows the community to place an online order to receive free condoms. The “PPP” consists of male condoms, lubricants, and educational material that promote condom use, protection from sexually transmitted diseases, and positive sexual health. Your “PPP” will be sent within one week of placing the order.
What is FC2 Female Condom?
- FC2 Female Condom is a strong, thin, soft, nitrile sheath made from synthetic rubber (non-latex) which is worn inside the vagina. There is a flexible ring at each end. The inner ring at the closed end of the sheath is used to insert the condom inside the vagina and to hold it in place during intercourse. The rolled outer ring at the open end of the sheath remains outside the vagina and covers part of the external genitalia. FC2 Female Condom® is inserted into the vagina before sex. It holds the man’s sperm after ejaculation, prevents unintended pregnancy and acts as a barrier to sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), including HIV.
Is FC2 Latex-free?
- Yes, FC2 is latex-free and made of nitrile.
Is FC2 Bigger than a Male Condom?
- FC2 Female Condom® is similar in length to a male condom, however, it is wider than a male condom. Once inserted, it lines the walls of the vagina and allows for movement of the penis inside the sheath. It also provides additional protection as it covers part of the external genitalia and the base of the penis.
- FC2 is a pleasurable alternative to male condoms.
Below is a list of advantages to using FC2
- FC2 increases a woman’s sense of empowerment as she is taking the initiative to protect herself and her partner.
- FC2 is a great choice for people with sensitivities to latex.
- FC2 provides an option for those who have difficulty or discomfort negotiating male condom use. (Note: Clients should never use a female condom and male condom at the same time)
- Men do not need to have/maintain an erection to use FC2.
- FC2 can be inserted in advance up to 2 hours in advance and does not need to be taken out immediately after intercourse.
- FC2 can be a source of pleasure for both partners.
- It increases sexual stimulation because the material adjusts to body temperature and stays warm.
- FC2 be used with both water and oil based lubricants.
- The external ring rubs against clitoris and increases pleasure for many women.
- FC2 is not tight or constricting around the penis.
- The inner ring of FC2 can stimulate the tip of the penis during intercourse.
- The man does not have to worry about wearing a condom.
- FC2 a non-hormonal, latex-free device that provides effective dual protection, reducing the worry during sex about pregnancy and STDs/HIV.
How to request Female Condoms
- FC2 can be requested at any of our locations listed on our Condom Locations tab.
- Also, FC2 is an over-the-counter female contraceptive that can be prescribed to patients with no out-of-pocket expense, per the Affordable Care Act.
For additional information on FC2, please visit http://fc2femalecondom.com/
- AIDS Info – The Basics of HIV Prevention
- CDC – HIV Basics: Prevention
- CDC – Condom Fact Sheet in Brief
- OWH – Preventing HIV Infection
- VA – Tips For Using Condoms And Dental Dams